Convert *.skp for 3ds max (*.FBX or *.3DS)
You know sketchup and his google 3D models gallery. here it is:
So much 3D file to download.
ok, that's fun but what can I do with it in 3DS max... hop need to convert. Google give me the process to import/convert a google sketchup model (*.skp) to max (3DS or FBX).
First we need 2 free software from Autodesk, FBX Converter and Google Sketchup (actually version 7):
You can download the windows version of the FBX converter from:
The program will install to the following location (unless you specify otherwise):
and for Google Sketchup:
Here is the process for converting from .skp to .3ds:
1) Download or create a .skp model in Sketchup
2) In Sketchup, export your model to "Google Earth 4 (*.kmz)
(note: be sure to choose version 4, because the other one is different)
3) Change the extention of the kmz file to .zip
4) Pull out the .dae file
5) In FBX Converter, convert the .dae file to .fbx
6) In FBX Converter, convert the .fbx file to .3ds
Note: in max you can import the *.FBX file, it works pretty.
something you can use to clean the mesh: detriangulator maxscript: